Normally, I limit the number of WIPs I have. But last Friday, I had 5 socks on my needles, and now I have one mended pair, one to be finished soon and one to be ripped.
This pair of socks has had some bad luck. One of them hid under our wardrobe last summer, which means it hasn't been worn that much (even though I wanted to, but I couldn't find them until we rearranged the furnitur to make room for Hauke's things). Then one got a hole - not at the heel, where normal socks get them, but right on top of the toe! I couldn't throw them out, and after 2 weeks of sitting in the corner thinking about wht they'd done wrong, I had mercy on them and decided to try and darn them. 1 hour later, I found out that I hate duplicate stitch even more than I hate kitchener stitch or sewing knitted things together, and that weaving to repair just looks stupid. One problem of this whole endeavour was that I didn't have any of the original yarn left over (it went into Hauke's blanket) - I just had some of the same yarn in a pink colourway. But I still felt like I should rescue those socks, and so I picked up all the stitches 2 lines below the hole, ripped back the toe and re-knit it. When I ran out of the original yarn, I used the pink stuff, and I even kitchenered the toe! (I can deal with 6 wonky stitches...) Please tell me you cannot spot the difference ;)
The second pair of socks on hold are the mojo socks. I wanted to do them out of yarn leftover from a pair of slippers (which would certainly be enough for at least the main part) and that pink bamboo yarn for toes and heels (which was why these had to wait till the other sock was mended). Well, it seems I totally suck at estimating yardage needed for socks, which is why these will go to the big tinking pond - I'm not that fond of the colour combination now (and that is the best one from my stash). And while I love the concept of the mojo pattern, I'd want to do it in a cotton yarn, which I don't have at the moment (and I've bought waaaaaay to much sock yarn recently...)
The third pair was started because the second pair was held up by the mended pair and a woman needs to knit something... leftovers from the Coriolis socks combined with some purple yarn which won't be enough for one sock. I had to tink some of the first sock, because, as we found out, I suck at estimating yardage, but only a row. These will be finished soon, and I love the lacy pattern and of course the Trekking XXL! It's a downsized version of Spring Forward from Knitty.
There you have it, a tale of 5 socks...